Pretty Car #2 - a.k.a Calypso or Spiderman
Bayram and I are so fortunate to never have had any car payments in our marriage, but little did we know that cars would become an interesting subject in our family. Does anyone else name their cars? Well all of our cars have been named by our children. So instead of helping pick out names for a baby brother or sister (which they will not be doing in their lifetime) - they help pick out names for our cars.
It all started when my Saturn from good 'ole college days - broke down right after I had Michael. The sweet car had been through a lot with me, but times had changed - and putting two car seats in the back was getting to be a lot on my back. So my brother and sister-in-love drove down one night - and gave us the keys to their 1991 Ford Explorer. This was my dream car when they bought it brand new - I was in the backseat when they drove it off the lot! If I had to lose my beloved Saturn - well Explorer was the next best thing! The kids eventually started calling it Soccer Truck - b/c Bayram would drive it all the time to his soccer games. They got to the point they asked "Where is Soccer Truck?" about as many times as they asked where daddy or mommy was.
Well after having Soccer Truck for a year (with 280,000 miles and no A/C) it was time for us to pray for a new vehicle! Once again, God provided us with exactly what I wanted - a double sliding door mini-van w/ a CD player!! It was used - and once again my brother & sister-in-love found the car. They had a neighbor who was selling it for next to nothing. We found out about it the week before Bayram was to go back home to Turkey - so we decided I would take him to the airport, drop him off, and go buy the mini-van. Well, as soon as we got in the car - Abigal who was 3 at the time said, "I like pretty car." The next morning when she woke up she asked if we could go for a ride in Pretty Car - so since then the name has stuck. The car has lasted a long time - and we've been so blessed to have it in good working order even if it has 135,000+ miles, but it would be nice to have another vehicle - in case our two older cars were to have any problems.
Once again - God answered prayers b/4 we even asked - and he provided us with Pretty Car's twin - only silver! When we got the car a couple of weeks ago - Abigail asked what we would name it - of course I, the rather uncreative mother, non-chalantly said Pretty Car #2. Little did I know that I would be met with such opposition from my children - they had a say in this little matter in our family. Abigail asked is we could name it Calypso and Michael asked if we could name it Spiderman. I told them they could call the car anything they liked, but I was going to call it Silver Car from now on. So it has stuck - the poor car gets called all of the names - just like a little brother or sis. At least we know which one we're talking about!
So three is our magic number for cars - I think we'll just wait until the kids have their own cars before needing new names, otherwise we might have a little family battle going on in our household!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home